이것은 그저 '푸틴만의 전쟁'이 아니다

페이지 정보

작성자 김명배1 작성일22-08-17 03:52 조회65회 댓글0건

본문

This Is Not Just 'Putin's War' And Russians Should '100 Percent' Feel Guilty
A Veteran Russian Analyst Pulls No Punches

이것은 그저 '푸틴만의 전쟁'이 아니며, 러시아인은 '100%' 죄책감을 느껴야 한다
베테랑 러시아 분석가는 솔직하게 대답했다

"[Russian President Vladimir Putin] is trying to understand what went wrong. And he cannot, because if he accepts the idea that almost everything he knew was wrong, it would be a huge blow to his general worldview," says Russian analyst Vladislav Inozemtsev.

"[블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령은] 무엇이 잘못되었는지 이해하려고 노력하고 있으며, 그는 자신이 알고 있는 거의 모든 것이 잘못되었다는 생각을 받아들이면 그의 일반적인 세계관에 큰 타격을 줄 것이기 때문에 이해할 수 없을 것이다."라고 러시아 분석가 블라디슬라프 이노젬체프가 말했다.

Vazha Tavberidze
바자 타브베리제

Vladislav Inozemtsev is a Russian academic and the director of the Moscow-based Center for Research on Post-Industrial Studies. In a wide-ranging interview with RFE/RL's Georgian Service, the veteran analyst discusses the health of Russian President Vladimir Putin, whether Russians should feel collective guilt, and predicts how the Putin regime will end.

블라디슬라프 이노젬체프는 러시아의 학자이자 모스크바에 본부를 둔 정보화 연구 센터의 책임자이다. RFE/RL의 조지아 지부와의 광범위한 인터뷰에서, 베테랑 분석가는 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 건강, 러시아인들이 집단적 죄책감을 느껴야 하는지, 푸틴 정권이 어떻게 끝날지를 예측한다.

RFE/RL: What does Putin have to show to his domestic audience after more than two months of fighting in Ukraine?

RFE/RL: 푸틴은 우크라이나에서 두 달 이상 전투를 치른 후 국내에 무엇을 보여주어야 하는가?

Vladislav Inozemtsev: Actually, there are some major advances, and the entire southern part of Ukraine is occupied now. And, therefore, it's a great success. Because, if one remembers 2014-15, there was a lot of talk about so-called Novorossia and Malorossia, and this land corridor to Crimea, which at that time it would have been assumed as a major success for the Russian forces. Now it's actually done and no one speaks of it as a success.

블라디슬라프 이노젬체프: 사실, 몇 가지 중요한 진전이 있었고, 현재 우크라이나의 남부 전체가 점령되어 있다. 따라서, 이것은 큰 성공이다. 왜냐하면 2014-15년을 기억한다면 이른바 노보로시아와 말로시아, 크림반도로 이어지는 회랑에 대한 말이 많았는데, 당시에는 러시아군의 큰 성공으로 추정되었을 것이기 때문이다. 이제 그것은 실제로 이루어졌지만 아무도 그것을 성공이라고 말하지 않는다.

"After the war ends...Russia will never be the same Russia we saw from 1991 till 2022. There'll be another country, more backward, with fewer links to the world, much more isolated, and even more conservative than it was before the war."

"전쟁이 끝난 이후...러시아는 1991년부터 2022년까지 우리가 본 러시아와 결코 같지 않을 것이다. 그곳에는 이제 더 후진적이고, 외부 세계와의 연결이 적고, 훨씬 더 고립되고, 전쟁 이전보다 훨씬 더 보수적인 어떤 다른 나라가 있을 것이다."

The problem of Mr. Putin was that the goals and the tasks of the intervention when it started were set too high and now you cannot actually declare any kind of victory, because it was said that we will de-Nazify the whole Ukraine, it will end up inside the Russian sphere of influence, be neutral and demilitarized, yet nothing like this will happen in the future.

푸틴의 문제는 개입이 시작되었을 때 목표와 임무가 너무 높게 설정되었고 이제 실제로 어떤 종류의 승리도 선언할 수 없다는 것이다. 왜냐하면 우리가 우크라이나 전체를 탈나치화하고, 중립적이고, 비무장화할 것이라고 말했기 때문이다. 하지만 이런 일은 앞으로 일어나지 않을 것이다.

So, of course, if you aim so high, if expectations are so high, you can't report any kind of success. This is the major problem Putin encounters now, because the whole plan had a bad design.

물론, 만약 높은 목표를 설정했다면, 기대치가 그렇게 높다면, 어떤 종류의 성공도 보고할 수 없다. 이것은 푸틴이 지금 직면하고 있는 주요 문제이다. 왜냐하면 모든 계획이 잘못된 설계였기 때문이다.

RFE/RL: Do you think the gains made by the Russian military are irreversible?

RFE/RL: 당신은 러시아군이 얻은 영토를 다시 되돌릴 수 없다고 생각하는가?

Inozemtsev: Oh, no, of course not. I will say this: What Mr. Putin wants to do in the coming weeks is to orchestrate some kind of referendum, or just unilateral decisions of all these occupied territories -- like the [so-called] Luhansk People's Republic and the Donetsk People's Republic and maybe the Kherson region -- to attach them to the Russian Federation, because actually [Putin] will want to make these gains irreversible. And then if and when the Ukrainian Army advances, he can claim that this is aggression against the Russian Federation, which allows him to use nuclear weapons and all means of defense.

이노젬체프: 오, 아니, 당연히 아니지. 나는 이렇게 말할 것이다: 푸틴이 앞으로 몇 주 동안 하고자 하는 것은 루한스크 /도네츠크 인민공화국, 그리고 아마도 헤르손 지역과 같은 모든 점령지에서 주민투표를 진행하거나 일방적인 결정으로 러시아 연방에 편입시키기를 원할 것이다. 이것은 러시아군이 얻은 영토를 되돌릴 수 없게 만든다. 그리고 만약 우크라이나군이 진격한다면, 그는 이것이 러시아 연방에 대한 공격이라고 주장할 수 있다. 러시아 연방은 핵무기와 모든 방어 수단을 사용할 수 있게 한다.

So my point is: No, up until now, they're not irreversible at all, because the Ukrainian Army is getting stronger. And at one point, it will counterattack, and it will be a huge counteroffensive. So, therefore, the advances are not final, but Putin wants to make them final, to consolidate and justify.

그래서 내 요점은, 지금까지, 그것들은 되돌릴 수 없는 것이 아니다. 왜냐하면 우크라이나 군대는 점점 더 강해지고 있기 때문이다. 그리고 어느 순간, 반격할 것이고, 엄청난 반격이 될 것이다. 그러므로, 러시아군의 전진이 최종적인 것은 아니지만, 푸틴은 그것을 최종적인 것으로 만들고, 통합하고, 정당화하기를 원한다.

RFE/RL: The Kremlin and the talking heads say, "Putin is in wonderful physical and intellectual condition." Yet he looks more as if he is about to deliver a monologue from King Lear.

RFE/RL: 크렘린과 러시아 관리들은 "푸틴은 신체적으로나 지적으로나 훌륭한 상태에 있습니다."라고 말한다. 하지만 그는 마치 리어왕의 독백을 막 전달하려는 것처럼 보인다.

Inozemtsev: Oh, I wouldn't say so. First of all, we were hearing such talk about his health even when he was prime minister, back in 2010-11, for more than 10 years now. People speculate about how bad his health is, but he's still alive and active actually.

이노젬체프: 난 그렇게 말하지 않을 것이다. 무엇보다도, 우리는 그가 2010-11년에 총리였을 때, 지금으로부터 10년 전에도 그의 건강에 대한 이야기를 듣고 있었다. 사람들은 그의 건강이 얼마나 나쁜지에 대해 추측하지만, 그는 여전히 살아있고 실제로 활동적이다.

"I think any kind of peace with Putin is almost impossible. Therefore, I don't think the idea of Putin outliving the West can work out. The West should outlive Putin. This has been my idea since 2015."

"푸틴과는 어떤 종류의 평화도 거의 불가능하다고 생각된다. 그러므로 푸틴과 그의 정권이 서방보다 오래 살아남는다는 생각은 실현될 수 없을 것이다. 서방은 푸틴보다 오래 지속되어야 한다. 이것은 이미 2015년부터 내가 생각해왔던 것이다."

So, I would say that maybe there are some points of concern…[but] to hope he will die all of a sudden is just…wishful thinking. As for his mental capacities, it's not so obvious. I would say he has been living in his own imaginary world for years. And the problem with this [Ukrainian situation] is that it was caused by the absolutely inadequate ination, which he got from his aides and counselors, prior to the invasion. The Kremlin spent a lot of money, which was misused, to get ined about the mood of Ukrainian society and the readiness of the Ukrainian Army. [Putin] got absolutely false ination, and then he made his decision on the basis of this ination.

그래서, 나는 걱정되는 점들이 있다고 말하고 싶다. 하지만 그가 갑자기 죽기를 바라는 것은 그저 희망적인 생각일 뿐이다. 그의 정신 능력에 관해서는, 그것은 그렇게 명백하지 않다. 나는 그가 수년 동안 자신만의 상상의 세계에서 살아왔다고 말하고 싶다. 그리고 이 [우크라이나 상황]의 문제는 그가 침공 전에 그의 보좌관들과 고문들로부터 얻은 절대적으로 불충분한 정보에 의해 발생했다는 것이다. 크렘린은 우크라이나 사회의 분위기와 우크라이나 군대의 준비 상황에 대한 정보를 얻기 위해 많은 돈을 썼다. [푸틴]은 완전히 잘못된 정보를 얻었고, 그는 이 정보를 바탕으로 결정을 내렸다.

Now, he is trying to understand what went wrong. And he cannot, because if he accepts the idea that almost everything he knew was wrong, it would be a huge blow to his general worldview. And, therefore, now he is struggling to correct his picture of the world, and to understand what he should do next.

지금, 그는 무엇이 잘못되었는지 이해하려고 노력하고 있다. 그리고 그는 할 수 없다. 왜냐하면 그가 알고 있는 거의 모든 것이 잘못되었다는 생각을 받아들인다면, 그것은 그의 일반적인 세계관에 큰 타격이 될 것이기 때문이다. 그리고, 그러므로, 지금 그는 세상에 대한 그의 그림을 바로잡고, 다음에 무엇을 해야 할지 이해하는데 어려움을 겪고 있다.

My vision is that the Kremlin doesn't have any kind of complete plan of what it will do [next], but the next step would be, from my point of view, annexation of territory to somehow secure the results of this period of war.

나의 비전은 크렘린궁이 다음에 무엇을 할 것인지에 대한 어떤 완전한 계획을 가지고 있지 않다는 것이다. 하지만 다음 단계는, 내 관점에서, 이 전쟁의 결과를 어떻게든 확보하기 위한 영토의 병합이 될 것이다.

RFE/RL: You wrote, back in 2011, an article titled Rule From God, God From Rule. Has it come true? Has Putin ascended and become more than a man?

RFE/RL: 지난 2011년, 당신은 "Rule From God, God From Rule"이라는 제목의 기사를 썼다. 그것이 이루어졌나? 푸틴은 승천하여 사람 이상의 존재가 되었는가?

Inozemtsev: I don't know. What seems obvious is that Mr. Putin has a quite serious religious consciousness…. He definitely thinks he has some kind of mission. I wouldn't say he equals himself to God. But nevertheless, he has a mission. He definitely wants to be [seen] in the same way as ancient Russian princes and heroes.

이노젬체프: 나도 모른다. 분명한 것은 푸틴이 상당히 심각한 종교적 의식을 가지고 있다는 것이다. 그는 분명히 자신에게 어떤 임무가 있다고 생각한다. 나는 그가 신과 동등하다고 말하지 않을 것이다. 하지만 그럼에도 불구하고, 그에게는 임무가 있다. 그는 분명히 고대 러시아의 왕자들과 영웅들과 같은 방식으로 보여지기를 원한다.

At the same time, the state's relationship with the [Russian Orthodox Church] is not bilateral. It's like a chain of command coming from the Kremlin downwards. The patriarch and priests are considered state employees and nothing more. So, I wouldn't say that Putin needs the church too much for legitimizing his actions.

동시에 러시아 정교회와의 관계는 수평적인 관계가 아니다. 크렘린에서 내려오는 지휘계통과도 같다. 총대주교와 성직자는 국가 직원으로 간주되며 그 이상도 이하도 아니다. 그래서, 나는 푸틴이 그의 행동을 정당화하기 위해 교회가 너무 필요하다고 말하지 않을 것이다.

RFE/RL: Is it Putin's war or Russia's war that we are seeing today in Ukraine?

RFE/RL: 우리가 오늘 우크라이나에서 보고 있는 것은 푸틴의 전쟁인가, 아니면 러시아의 전쟁인가?

Inozemtsev: This is an important question. I wouldn't distinguish between these [things] because many people insist that Russia is something and Putin is absolutely different -- that Germany is forever, that Hitlers come and go. I would say that, today, the idea that Putin is Russia and Russia is Putin is quite reasonable. And so, therefore, I would say that it's more a Russian war than Putin's war.

이노젬체프: 이것은 중요한 질문이다. 많은 사람들이 러시아는 어떤 것이고 푸틴은 완전히 다르다고 주장하기 때문에 나는 이러한 것들을 구분하지 않을 것이다. 나는 오늘날 푸틴이 러시아이고 러시아가 푸틴이라는 생각은 꽤 타당하다고 말하고 싶다. 그래서 나는 푸틴의 전쟁이라기보다는 러시아의 전쟁이라고 말하고 싶다.

RFE/RL: Do you think then that there should be Russian collective guilt?

RFE/RL: 그럼 러시아인들의 집단 죄책감이 있어야 한다고 생각하는가?

Inozemtsev: Absolutely. One-hundred percent.

이노젬체프: 물론. 100퍼센트.

RFE/RL: Putin has high approval ratings. But even though that might be the case, Eastern Europe has a history of dictators with sky-high ratings ending very badly. Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu had 95 percent support just before he was taken outside and shot.

RFE/RL: 푸틴은 높은 지지율을 가지고 있다. 그러나 비록 그것이 사실일지라도, 동유럽의 높은 지지율을 가진 독재자들의 역사가 매우 좋지 않게 끝났다. 루마니아의 독재자 니콜라에 차우셰스쿠는 밖으로 끌려나가 총살되기 직전 95%의 지지를 받았다.

Inozemtsev: I would say that when one talks about Putin's approval ratings, one should be very cautious. It's not because of miscalculations. It's quite a different thing, because in Russia, the ideology, or doctrine now in place and developed by Putinists, actually asks from the people not so much to do something in support of Putin, but just to stay calm and not criticize him.

이노젬체프: 나는 푸틴의 지지율에 대해 말할 때 매우 신중해야 한다고 말하고 싶습니다. 그것은 계산 착오 때문이 아니다. 그것은 완전히 다른 것이다. 왜냐하면 러시아에서는, 이 이념이나 교리가 현재 확립되어 있고, 푸틴주의자들에 의해 개발된 것이 사실 사람들에게 푸틴을 지지하기 위해 무언가를 하는 것이 아니라, 그저 그를 비판하지 않고 침착하게 행동하라고 요구하기 때문이다.

"[Putin] will die in office with 99 percent probability or maybe he'll be dismissed by an internal coup. In both cases, after Putin departs, the conflict inside the Russian elite will intensify dramatically. The system will ruin itself."

"[푸틴]은 99%의 확률로 집권 중애 사망하거나 내부 쿠데타로 해임된다. 두 경우 모두 푸틴이 떠난 후 러시아 엘리트 내부의 갈등이 극적으로 심화될 것이다. 그 시스템은 스스로를 파멸시킬 것이다."

Actually, the most important thing for Putin is not the support, it's apathy -- the capacity to do nothing -- from the major part of the population…. So I would say that this 80 or 70 percent who support Putin, it is quite enough for them to say, "We have nothing against [you]," and so, therefore, this support will never turn into real, active support if something goes wrong. So if, for example, there is a coup, a civil war…I doubt anyone will stand behind Mr. Putin. So 80 percent of people saying that they support him, it doesn't mean they will take up arms and volunteer to fight in the Donbas.

사실, 푸틴에게 가장 중요한 것은 국민의 지지를 받는 것이 아니라 무관심, 즉 아무것도 하지 않는 능력이다. 그래서 나는 푸틴을 지지하는 이 70-80%는, 그들이 "우리는 [당신]에 대해 아무것도 반대하지 않는다"고 말하는 것으로 충분하다고 말하고 싶다. 따라서, 이 지지는 어떤 일이 잘못될 경우, 결코 진정한, 적극적인 지지로 바뀌지 않을 것입니다. 예를 들어 쿠데타, 내전이 일어난다면...나는 푸틴을 지지하는 사람이 있을지 의심스럽다. 그래서 80%의 사람들이 그를 지지한다고 말하는 것은 그들이 무기를 들고 돈바스에서 자원해서 싸우겠다는 것을 의미하지는 않는다.

RFE/RL: You already mentioned the immediate steps Russia or the Kremlin might take. There is an expert consensus in the West that Putin has braced himself for a prolonged conflict and he will be betting on the fact that he can outlast the West in terms of commitment -- that sooner or later the West will be fed up with helping Ukraine. In the end, according to the analysis, the West will either abandon Kyiv or pressure it into a disadvantageous settlement or some kind of cease-fire. Can you see such a scenario happening?

RFE/RL: 당신은 이미 러시아나 크렘린이 취할 수 있는 즉각적인 조치를 언급했다. 서방에서는 푸틴이 장기간의 분쟁에 대비하고 있으며, 그는 헌신적인 면에서도 서방국가보다 더 오래 버틸 수 있다는 사실에 내기를 걸 것이며, 조만간 서방국가들은 우크라이나를 돕는 데 진저리가 날 것이다. 결국 서방은 키이우를 포기하거나 불리한 타결이나 일종의 휴전을 압박할 것이라는 분석이 나온다. 당신은 그런 시나리오가 일어날 것이라고 생각하는가?

Inozemtsev: I would say no. It was very probable before the invasion, and it seems that the West actually would like to press Ukraine into some kind of compromise. And this was what they did. The Biden administration postponed a lot of decisions about military aid and financial aid to Ukraine. And if Putin were a better diplomat -- or rather if he were a diplomat at all, because he's not -- then maybe Russia could achieve these kinds of results and history could go in either direction.

이노젬체프: 나는 아니라고 말할 것이다. 그것은 침공 이전에 매우 가능성이 높았고, 서방(역자주: 프랑스, 독일, 이탈리아)은 실제로 우크라이나를 어떤 타협으로 몰아넣고 싶어 하는 것 같다. 그리고 이것이 그들이 한 일이다. 바이든 행정부는 우크라이나에 대한 군사 지원과 재정 지원에 관한 많은 결정을 연기했다. 그리고 만약 푸틴이 더 나은 외교관이었다면, 혹은 그가 외교관에 전혀 관여하지 않았다면, 아마도 러시아는 이런 종류의 결과를 얻을 수 있었을 것이고 역사는 지금과 다른 방향으로 갈 수 있었을 것이다.

But now I think the West decided that it's too much. And there is not much space and not much room for maneuver. Because what can the West do? The West can advise Ukraine to give up one-third of its territory? Now everyone can see that this won't happen, it won't help, because in 2014, Russia took Crimea…then the next year Putin took part of Donbas. Now they take three more regions. And if there is a cease-fire, a peace treaty, it doesn't mean that four years from now, Putin won't make an attempt to capture Kyiv again.

하지만 지금은 서방이 너무 심하다고 판단한 것 같다. 그리고 많은 공간과 기동할 수 있는 공간도 많지 않다(주어진 선택의 폭이 좁다). 서방이 무엇을 할 수 있을까? 서방은 우크라이나에게 영토의 3분의 1을 포기하라고 조언할 수 있을까? 이제 모든 사람들은 이것이 일어나지 않을 것이라는 것을 알 수 있고, 도움이 되지 않을 것이다. 왜냐하면 2014년에 러시아는 크림반도를 점령했고, 그 다음 해에는 푸틴이 돈바스의 일부를 차지했기 때문이다. 이제 그들은 세 지역을 더 차지했다. 그리고 만약 휴전, 평화 조약이 있다면, 푸틴이 지금부터 4년 후에 키이우를 다시 점령하려는 시도를 하지 않을 것이라는 것을 의미하지는 않는다.

So now I think any kind of peace with Putin is almost impossible. Therefore, I don't think the idea of Putin outliving the West can work out. The West should outlive Putin. This has been my idea since 2015. They shouldn't seek any kind of active conflict. They should just stay firm on the limits, which Putin reached already. Because, in five, 10, 15 years, the regime will crumble, because it's a very personalistic regime, and it cannot survive or outlive Mr. Putin himself physically.

그래서 지금 나는 푸틴과의 어떤 종류의 평화도 거의 불가능하다고 생각한다. 그러므로, 나는 푸틴이 서구보다 오래 산다는 생각이 잘 풀리지 않을 것이라고 생각한다. 서방세계는 푸틴보다 오래 살아야 한다. 이것은 2015년부터 내 생각이었다. 그들은 어떤 종류의 적극적인 갈등도 추구해서는 안 된다. 그들은 푸틴이 이미 도달한 한계에 대해 단호하게 대처해야 한다. 왜냐하면 5년, 10년, 15년 후에는 정권이 붕괴될 것이기 때문이다. 왜냐하면 그것은 매우 개인주의적인 정권이기 때문이다. 그리고 푸틴 대통령 자신은 생존할 수 없기 때문이다.

RFE/RL: You really think so?

RFE/RL: 정말 그렇게 생각하는가?

Inozemtsev: Yes, I'm absolutely sure. It will be a war of all against all if Putin disappears, and the regime will crumble soon.

이노젬체프: 그렇다, 나는 전적으로 확신한다. 푸틴이 사라진다면 만인을 적으로 돌린 전쟁이 될 것이고, 그 정권은 곧 붕괴될 것이다.

RFE/RL: No designated successor scenario? You don't see that happening?

RFE/RL: 지정된 후계자 시나리오가 없는가? 그런 일이 일어나지 않겠는가?

Inozemtsev: No, that's impossible. [The] designated successor scenario with [er President and Prime Minister Dmitry] Medvedev was successful because Putin was in place. And, of course, he can put someone in charge and stand aside for some five to 10 years, but I doubt Putin wants to put someone in charge and be on the sidelines.

이노젬체프: 아니, 그건 불가능하다. 메드베데프 전 대통령과 총리와의 후계자 지정 시나리오는 푸틴이 자리를 잡고 있었기 때문에 성공적이었다. 그리고 물론, 그는 누군가를 책임자로 앉히고 5년에서 10년 정도 자리를 비울 수 있지만, 푸틴은 누군가를 책임자로 앉히고 방관하기를 원할 것 같지는 않다.

So, therefore, he will die in office with 99 percent probability or maybe he'll be dismissed by an internal coup. In both cases, after Putin departs, the conflict inside the Russian elite will intensify dramatically. The system will ruin itself.

따라서, 그는 99%의 확률로 임기 중에 사망하거나 내부 쿠데타에 의해 해임될 것이다. 두 경우 모두 푸틴이 떠난 뒤 러시아 엘리트 내부의 갈등이 극적으로 격화될 것이다. 그 시스템은 스스로 파멸할 것이다.

RFE/RL: Is it possible that he doesn't think about tomorrow's Russia? You said he sees himself as having a historic mission, but there were emperors and conquerors from history whose empire crumbled before their bodies were even cold. What is Putin's objective here?

RFE/RL: 그가 미래의 러시아에 대해 생각하지 않는다는 것이 사실인가? 당신은 그가 역사적인 임무를 가지고 있다고 말했지만,죽기 전에 제국이 무너진 역사 속 황제들과 정복자들이 있었다. 여기서 푸틴의 목표는 무엇인가?

"I think [Putin] will be quite happy [if the history books] will say he was someone who...restored order, who added some new territories, who was a fierce opponent of the West, who made Russia [get off] its knees.... But when he died, within six months, the country was [in ruins]."

"내 생각에 [푸틴은] 그가 질서를 회복하고, 새로운 영토를 추가하고, 서방의 맹렬한 적수이며, 러시아를 무릎 [꿇게] 만든 사람이라고... [만약 역사책에서] 묘사된다면 매우 행복해할 것 같다.  그러나 그가 죽었을 때, 6개월 만에 나라는 [황폐해질 것이다]."

Inozemtsev: I don't think he has any huge objectives. He just owns a country like a private possession. He wants to rule it as long as he can. He doesn't want to have any kind of destabilization. He, at least until February 24 [when Russia invaded Ukraine], was obsessed with self-enrichment, this kind of nouveau riche lifestyle…. And all these ideas about taking Crimea or the Donbas were definitely oriented toward the domestic audience.

이노젬체프: 나는 그가 큰 목표를 가지고 있다고 생각하지 않는다. 그는 단지 사유지 같은 나라를 소유하고 있을 뿐이다. 그는 그가 할 수 있는 한 오래 통치하기를 원한다. 그는 어떤 종류의 불안정성을 가지길 원하지 않는다. 적어도 2월 24일 [러시아가 우크라이나를 침공했을 때]까지만 해도 그는 자기계발, 이런 새로운 부자의 생활방식에 사로잡혀 있었다. 그리고 크림이나 돈바스를 점령하는 것에 대한 이러한 생각들은 확실히 국내를 향했다.

Because Crimea was taken in 2014, when Putin's approval ratings were quite low after 2012. And he returned to the Kremlin and restored [his approval ratings]. And this was actually the major plan behind this operation I believe. His idea is just to perpetuate his rule. And many, as you said, conquerors and emperors were glorified even after their empires crumbled, such as Alexander the Great. [For Putin,] it's about himself, it's not about creating a state that will last for 1,000 years. He is very realistic, and that's it.

왜냐하면 크림은 2012년 이후 푸틴의 지지율이 상당히 낮았던 2014년에 병합했기 때문이다. 그리고 그는 크렘린으로 돌아와 지지율을 회복했다. 그리고 이것이 내가 믿는 이 작전의 주요 계획이었다. 그것은 단지 그의 통치를 영속시키기 위한 것이다. 그리고 많은 정복자들과 황제들은 알렉산더 대왕과 같이 그들의 제국이 붕괴된 후에도 미화되었다. [푸틴에게] 그것은 자신에 관한 것이었고, 1,000년 동안 지속될 국가를 만드는 것에 관한 것이 아니다. 그는 매우 현실적이다. 그게 다다.

RFE/RL: If history is written by the winners, what will they write about Putin?

RFE/RL: 만약 승자들이 역사를 쓴다면, 그들은 푸틴에 대해 무엇을 쓸 것인가?

Inozemtsev: I think he'll be quite happy [if the history books] will say he was someone who came to power in Russia, who restored order, who added some new territories, who was a fierce opponent of the West, who made Russia [get off] its knees, and he was very successful. But when he died, within six months, the country was [in ruins].

이노젬체프: 나는 그가 [역사책]에서 ㅡ 러시아에서 권력을 잡은 사람, 질서를 회복한 사람, 새로운 영토를 추가한 사람, 서방의 맹렬한 반대자, 러시아를 굴복시킨 사람, 그리고 매우 성공적이었던 사람이라고 묘사된다면 행복해할 것이라 생각한다. 하지만 그가 죽었을 때, 6개월 안에 나라는 [파탄]에 빠질 것이다.

So he was great because he could manage this and his successors, they were weak and couldn't surpass him. It's like when people in Russia now say [er Soviet leader Leonid] Brezhnev was a very good leader and [er Soviet leader Mikhail] Gorbachev was very bad, because in one case you have this Brezhnev doctrine on limited sovereignty for Central European powers, the huge advance in sovereign influence in the world, quite peaceful surroundings, and then you have, once again, a catastrophic crash of the country. The popularity of Brezhnev is very high in Russia. It's the same case -- you were successful and your successors destroyed the country. So [for Putin], it's very good to be in this kind of position.

그래서 그는 그의 후계자들을 다룰 수 있었고, 그의 후계자들이 그를 능가할 수 없기 때문에 위대했다 ㅡ 마치 지금 러시아 사람들이 브레즈네프는 매우 훌륭한 지도자였고 고르바초프는 매우 나빴다고 말하는 것과 같다. 왜냐하면 브레즈네프 때에는 중앙 유럽 강대국들에게 제한된 통치를 휘두를 수 있었고, 주변이 꽤나 안정적이었으나, 그러나, 후자는 나라를 파탄으로 이끌었다. 브레즈네프의 인기도는 러시아에서 꽤나 높다. 후계자가 나라를 파탄으로 이끌었기 때문이다. 그렇기 때문에, [푸틴에게는] 이러한 포지션에 있는 것이 좋을 것이다.

RFE/RL: When the war ends, do you see Russia being reintroduced back into the world order?

RFE/RL: 전쟁이 끝났을 때, 러시아가 세계 질서에 다시 참여할 수 있다고 생각하는가?

Inozemtsev: I think Russia is going to become a very isolated country and its imperial identity will be either lost or rethought. It's a huge challenge, both mentally, ideologically, economically, and geopolitically. So after the war ends -- and it doesn't depend how it ends -- Russia will never be the same Russia we saw from 1991 till 2022. There'll be another country, more backward, with fewer links to the world, much more isolated, and even more conservative than it was before the war.

이노젬체프: 나는 러시아가 매우 고립된 나라가 될 것이고 제국주의 정체성은 상실되거나 재고될 것이라고 생각한다. 그것은 정신적으로, 이념적으로, 경제적으로, 지정학적으로 모두 큰 도전이다. 따라서 전쟁이 끝난 후, 어떻게 끝나느냐에 따라 달라지지 않는다. 러시아는 1991년부터 2022년까지 우리가 보았던 것과 같은 러시아가 될 수 없을 것이다. 훨씬 더 퇴보했고, 세계와의 연결고리가 적고, 훨씬 더 고립되고, 전쟁 이전보다 훨씬 더 보수적인 또 다른 나라가 있을 것이다.

Russia will become a power which looks only backwards. It wants to go back. It's what I call an un-contemporary country, and it will accelerate its return to the Middle Ages.

러시아는 다시 돌아가고 싶어하는, 과거만 보는 강대국이 될 것이다. 그것은 내가 비현대적인 국가라고 부르는 것이고, 그것은 중세시대로의 회귀를 가속화할 것이다.

RFE/RL: Will it become more dangerous as a result?

RFE/RL: 결과적으로 더 위험해질까?

Inozemtsev: Not necessarily. It might be more dangerous, or worse in propaganda, but definitely, if Russia loses this war, either Putin or another ruler of Russia might be even more aggressive in his or her rhetoric. But it will not be so aggressive in [reality]. They won't launch another war if this one is lost.

이노젬체프: 꼭 그렇지는 않다. 그것은 더 위험하거나 선전에 있어서 더 나쁠 수도 있지만, 러시아가 이 전쟁에서 진다면, 푸틴이나 러시아의 다른 통치자의 미사여구에 있어서 훨씬 더 공격적일 수도 있다. 하지만 현실적에서는 그렇게 공격적이지는 않을 것입니다. 이번 전쟁에서 패하면 다시는 전쟁을 일으키지 않을 것이다.

RFE/RL: And if Russia wins this war?

RFE/RL: 만약 러시아가 이 전쟁에서 이긴다면?

Inozemtsev: How can one win this? What does winning this war even mean?

이노젬체프: 어떻게 이걸 이길 수 있지? 이 전쟁에서 이긴다는 게 무슨 뜻이지?

RFE/RL: It's a good question. What would constitute victory for Russia?

RFE/RL: 좋은 질문이다. 러시아의 승리는 무엇으로 구성될 것인가?

Inozemtsev: I can't see any chance of this. So they can pretend they are victorious, for example, by annexing some areas of Ukraine, but at the same time Ukraine will become a member of the European Union, maybe even a member of NATO. This eastern wall of NATO/Ukraine will become much stronger. NATO will expand to Sweden and Finland. So Putin and his puppet regimes, like the one in Belarus, will become much weaker. So one might present it as a victory, but it's not a victory.

이노젬체프: 나는 러시아의 승리에 대한 어떤 가능성도 볼 수 없다. 그래서 그들은, 예를 들어, 우크라이나의 일부 지역을 병합함으로써, 자신들이 승리한 것처럼 가장할 수 있지만, 동시에 우크라이나는 유럽연합의 일원이 될 것이고, 어쩌면 나토의 일원이 될 수도 있다. NATO/우크라이나의 동쪽 벽은 훨씬 더 견고해질 것이다. NATO는 스웨덴과 핀란드로 확대될 것이다. 그래서 푸틴과 그의 꼭두각시 정권은 벨라루스와 같이 훨씬 더 약해질 것이다. 그래서 누군가는 그것을 승리로 나타낼지 모르지만, 그것은 승리가 아니다.

원문: http://www.rferl.org/a/russia-putin-analysis-ukraine-inozemtsev-collective-guilt/31859680.html